Saturday, March 7, 2020

Six years have passed

Six years have passed since my last post.  Blogs have fallen somewhat out of fashion, but my genealogy research has remained very strong.

An update on Henry Weaver Van Syckle's ancestry:  After his mother, Mary Ann (nee Burger), married Mr. Van Syckle, she married one Abram Williams and had several children.  In about 1849 the family moved from New York to LaPorte County, Indiana.  After the death of Abram Williams circa 1852, the family then relocated to California, where Mary Ann married one Dr. Bradley in Colusa County.  The last record I have found of Mary Ann is still the 1880 Federal Census in San Jose, Santa Clara County, California.*  She is listed as Van Syckle.

That info gave me some clues to Henry Weaver Van Syckle's ancestry.  His biography from History of Colusa and Glenn counties California mentions an uncle, Solomon Hasbrook Burger.  I believe "Solomon Hasbrook" is a repeating name in the family.  One of Henry Weaver Van Syckle's half-siblings was Solomon Hasbrook Williams.  His biography, in the above book, lists the following:

"A self-made man and one of the most successful and highly esteemed ranchers of Colusa County, Solomon Hasbrook Williams has a high standing as a public-spirited and progressive citizen.  He was born in the Hoosier State, near South Bend, April 1, 1852, the youngest of five sons and one daughter born to his parents.  The father died when his son was an infant; and in 1860 the mother brought her daughter and three sons to California, by way of Panama.  They settled in San Francisco for a time, and then came to Princeton, Colusa County, where they engaged in the stock business.  It was while living here that Mrs. Williams married Dr. Bradley, her third husband.  Her first husband was a Mr. Van Sickle, to whom she bore three children, all of whom are deceased..."

I believe other Burger relatives moved with the Van Syckle/Burger/Williams clan to Indiana from New York.  Almira Burger (c.1834-1891), married (1) Daniel Davis and (2) James N. Coulter.  Almira's oldest two children were born in LaPorte County, Indiana.  By 1860, the family was in Warren County, Iowa, where another Burger lived.  Abraham Solomon Hasbrook Burger was born in Orange County, New York in 1830, and lived in Warren County, Iowa for several decades.  It is likely that he and Almira Burger were siblings.

Almira Burger's marriage record to Daniel Davis lists her parents as William Burger and Mary Deets.  There's a lot of conflicting information on them online, and so for now, I have put a big question mark on these people's ancestry, but I do lean toward Almira Burger, Abraham Solomon Hasbrook Burger, and Mary Ann Burger, all being children of William Burger and Mary Deets.  At the very least, I have no doubt that they are somehow related.

And what does this tell me about the Henry Weaver Van Syckle's paternal ancestry?  Surname spellings of the early 1800's often give me a clue as to ancestry or location.  In this case, I think the Van Syckle family most likely went to Orange County, New York from bordering Sussex County, New Jersey.  This is where the Van Syckle spelling of the name dominates.  I'm looking now for a man, born between 1800 and 1810, likely from Sussex County, New Jersey.

It's a start.

*UPDATE:  I'm under the weather, a bit stressed, and I never sleep well when the clocks change for Daylight Savings.  Genealogy is always my late night companion.  I'm so grateful for my insomnia this time because I found the obituary for Henry Weaver Van Syckle's mother, Mrs. Mary A. Bradley.

No comments: