Sunday, February 7, 2021

Dreon

It's been six months since my previous post.  Why?  Covid has made the days feel like they've combined into one long, dark, miserable day.  I'm sure you all feel my pain.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to write about until I realized I should mention my Dreon family.  They have been a special challenge.  First, not too many people are interested in them.  My immigrant ancestor, George, supposedly came here during the Revolution from France, though I can find no documents on him from the time.  And yet, his son, William, was born in Virginia in about 1785, so I do know he was here. Second, online access to records that pertain to early family members are rare.  I feel confident that there are records, but they are pretty far back on my tree and I do not have the resources to research all of my family names to as great of detail as I'd like.  And third, my immigrant ancestor had a lot of female descendants, and so while there may be a great many living descendants, they are likely unaware of the family name.

I put some of what I do know about George Dreon and his wife Mary on Find-A-Grave.  As I stated, George was from France and his son (my ancestor) and likely first child, William, was born in Virginia. What I do not know is whereabouts in Virginia the family lived.   I do know that the family was living in Logan County, Kentucky circa 1805.  What I do not know is whether the Dreon family moved to Kentucky or if the state formed while the family was already there.  

The family had four known children, but I suspect more since there are large gaps between the ages of the four known children.  They are:

William, born circa 1785
Elizabeth, born circa 1788, married Henry HALL
Henry, born circa 1799
Sarah, born circa 1804, married Fleming THOMAS

I hesitate to say more, although I do know a bit more.  I can also speculate some on where they may have lived in Virginia, but I have found that speculation is often copied and posted as fact in online trees.  

My interest in this branch is not so much in finding out more about George's ancestry, but rather his life here.


No comments: