Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Harry A, and Ettie Wallace, Alameda

I saw this request at the Alameda County message board at Genealogy.com:

Hello,
I am looking for information on a Harry A. Wallace born about January 1869 in California. By 1930 he is living with a wife, Ettie, Ettie had been married before to a Arthur K. Kellar and had one son, Ernest L. Kellar. On the 1930 census, Ernest is listed as a roomer, but this is Ettie's son, Ettie was born in Missouri, lived in Oklahoma, and Crawford Co., Kansas, do not know her maiden name or where or when she married Harry A. Wallace.
Any information on this couple after 1930 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.


Thank you for your post! I found the obituary of Harry A. WALLACE. I hope it will help provide you with some clues to Ettie's ancestry. In the meantime, I'll keep looking and will let you know when I find something.

From The Oakland Tribune, 14 January 1933:


Update: I was able to locate the obituary of Ernest Kellar. From the Hayward Daily Review, 27 March 1966:


It mentions that he had a sister named Mrs. Lauretta MCELWAIN (She was born in Kansas in 1907). When I found her death in the California Death Index, it listed her mother's maiden name as MILLS and father's name as BALDWIN. The 1920 Federal Census (in Leroy, Barton County, Missouri) shows Lauretta's mother to be Mrs. Maud E. BALDWIN (nee MILLS, born circa 1892 in Kansas).

The mention that Ernest KELLAR and Lauretta MCELWAIN are siblings is puzzling. By any chance was Ernest KELLAR adopted out to this family?

Update #2: I last found Ettie listed in the 1938 California Voter Registration in Alameda County, but she is also listed in the California Death Index as Ettie I WALLACE, age 55, died in Alameda County on 17 September 1930. Another puzzling bit of information! I will try to find an obituary.

Update #3: Arthur K. KELLAR died in Alameda County on 29 November 1923, at the age of 53. If I cannot find either his or Ettie's obituary, you may want to try the Oakland Public Library.

No comments: